Sunday, April 7, 2013
'Mad Men' Season 6 Premiere
1 . Sally Draper (Kieran Shipka) had the line of the night, "She acts like she's 25 because she uses tampons." Teenage Sally is just as fun as pre-teen brat Sally. And I'm now fully convinced she'll be on her way to Woodstock next season.
2. Sideburns have exploded since the Summer of '67. Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser) wins the award for the best ones. We're also seeing more and more moustaches & beards. Just wait until The Beatles' "White Album" comes out!
3. Nobody turns their Christmas trees off no matter how late at night it is. And this was way before LED lights, so they must have great smoke detectors. But they look nice, so I don't mind.
4. January Jones still has a fat suit, though its slightly smaller. So I guess "Fat Betty" is still around! By the end of the episode she dyes her hair black after a visit to some sketchy community apartment in an increasingly dangerous Manhattan. She's there looking for Sally's runaway friend, and gets an earful from a homeless guy about her bottled up existence in Rye, NY. So basically this is her version of turning goth. "Fat Betty" is now "Goth Betty". Earlier in the episode she gave us some seriously psycho humor, teasing Henry (Christopher Stanley) that if he wanted Sally's 15-year-old friend, she would hold her down for him. Maybe the new "Goth Betty" will stop being jealous of teenage girls?
5. Peggy (Elisabeth Moss) is basically the Don Draper (Jon Hamm) of her new office. Quite the workaholic, she expertly solves a crisis for their upcoming Super Bowl ad. Yet she is also a hard ass, making people work on New Year's Eve.
6. Roger Sterling (John Slattery) can't shed a tear when his 91-year-old mother dies, but balls like a baby when his shoeshine-guy dies. Don't ever change, Roger.
7. Megan (Jessica Pare) is now a soap opera star, and Don is now obsessed with death and finds heaven morbid. Megan has gotten him into smoking marijuana, but he is still the opposite of Roger, who took LSD and became more of a free spirit with it. Oh, and the question from the end of last season has been answered. Don has begun to cheat on her, and with the wife of his new doctor friend. She is Sylvia Rosen, and is played by Linda Cardellini, who you know from "ER", "Freaks & Geeks" and "Grandma's Boy". Between this and in Season 3 when he slept with Sally's teacher, he sure likes to pick dangerous ones. We do see regret though, which we didn't see when he cheated on Betty. Baby steps. He is clearly in a crappy state right now though.
8. Alex Mack (Larisa Oleynik) and Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel) were not in this episode. I can't remember their characters' names so we'll go with those. And its more fun that way.
9. We didn't see much of Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks) apart from when they had to take portraits. Fear not though, now that she is a partner our favorite wisecracking redhead will be featured more soon.
10. Vietnam is starting to become heavily referenced, as it should now that they've entered 1968.